Alameda County JATC (Joint Apprenticeship Training Committee) is a joint association between IBEW Local 595 and Electrical Contractors committed to the advanced training and education of IBEW electrical apprentice. Associated with Chabot College, Hayward.
We also Provide Continued Education For our Journeyman
Wireman as well as electrician certification programs for
IBEW Local 595 wireman. JW Classes
The National Joint Apprenticeship and Training Committee (NJATC) requires electrical apprentices to complete a structured, national curriculum. This consists of class work and paid, on-the-job training, leading to their becoming journeymen wiremen. All JATC graduates have superior skills in a wide range of electrical and electronic installations. They continue to learn as the electrical industry changes via Journeyman Classes offered by the JATC. They know how to function as part of a team to get your electrical job done right the first time, on schedule and on budget.
Classroom / On-the-Job (OJT) Training Hours
in IBEW-NECA Inside Electrician Apprenticeship
180 x 5 = 900 hours
1 Inside OJT: First Year = 2,000 hours; Second, Third, Fourth and Fifth Years = 1,500 hours each
The Alameda County Joint Apprenticeship and Training
Committee for the Electrical (Inside Wireman) Trade 14600 Catalina St., San Leandro, CA 94577-5707
(510) 351-5282 email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website Address: www.595jatc.org
Five-year apprenticeship program. Apprentices work during the day (paid employment) and attend classes during day and evenings. A Journeyman certificate is awarded upon successful completion.
DUTIES: The apprentice works directly under the supervision of a qualified Journeyman Electrician in installing or maintaining a variety of approved wiring methods for distribution of electrical light, heat, power, radio and signaling utilization systems. The work is performed in existing or new residential, commercial and industrial buildings and includes street and highway lighting, traffic signal and other outdoor above and below grade installations. The trade requires considerable physical effort on the part of the apprentice to do lifting, climbing, crouching and working in cramped areas.
BOOK COSTS: Approximately $620.00 for the first year TOOL COSTS: Approximately $500.00
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO APPLY:
· Must be at least 18 years of age at the time of application, with photo I.D. such as a drivers license or identification card issued by the D.M.V. Must have a valid drivers license at time of indenture.
· Must be able to perform the work of the trade.
· Must be a high school graduate or have a GED. In lieu of a high school diploma or GED may have a two year Associate Degree or higher.
· Must show evidence of successful completion of: one full credit of high school algebra with a passing grade of “C” or better, or one post high school algebra course (e.g. Adult Education, Continuing Education, Community College, etc.) with a passing grade of “C” or better, or provide evidence of having successfully completed the NJATC Math Course (available on line at www.njatc.org).
Pre-Algebra does not meet this requirement.
· Applicant must provide official transcripts (in English) to meet the above requirements. *Non-English diplomas and/or transcripts must be translated and notarized with the embossed notary seal.
ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION SHOULD BE SUBMITTED AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
· If accepted into the program, applicants will be required to take and pass a pre-employment drug test.
QUALIFYING EXAMINATIONS: All applicants who meet the above qualifications will be scheduled to take a written qualifying examination (reading comprehension and algebra).
QUALIFYING INTERVIEW: Applicants who pass the qualifying exam will be scheduled for an oral interview by the Committee. The Committee members will ask standard questions that will help them determine the applicant’s ability to become an apprentice electrician. The names of interviewed applicants will be placed on the Eligibility List for Electrical Apprenticeship for two years per “Cal Plan” requirements.